Unplanned and Second Hand

"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope" - Dr Seuss

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

The Three Day Rule by Josie Lloyd & Emyln Rees

The three Day Rule -

More chick flick-script than novel, there is little argument that this book is on the trashy side. Yet I finished it in less than two days, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it.

As the Thornes come together for a family christmas the story follows the events that unfold from the point of view of four of the characters. An affair, dealing with the death of a son, new love, first love and teenage rebellion are on the menu in this christmas drama. The story is told piece-by-piece, in a fragmented manner as we flick between the characters and their respective pasts and presents.

Although often slow, and not very well written, an interesting plot begins to form as you skip through the quite readable pages. It culminates in a pacey and highly entertaining finale which cleverly intertwines the various storylines and produces some unexpectedly gripping moments.

While the style of writing is not memorable, some of the content is. In particular, the Stephanie passages, which take us through her struggles to deal with the loss of a child, her inability to forgive her husband for it, and her being cooped up with a sister-in-law she cannot stand.

If you're looking to quench your literary buds don't expect wonders from this book, but, if you're after something that will quicken that train journey, it'll do the trick.